50g (1 3/4 oz.) fresh yeast
(approximately 12 g / 1 1/2 tbsp. dried)
500 ml (2 cups) water, 37C/99F
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. dark syrup
2 tsp. cooking oil
165 g (1 1/4 cup) whole wheat flour
380-450 g (4 1/2 – 5 cups) all-purpose flour
400 g (14.1 oz) smoked Baltic herring or kippers, deboned
100 ml (scant 1/2 cup mayonnaise)
100 ml (scant 1/2 cup) heavy cream
Cream cheese mixture:
300 g (10 1/2 oz.) cream cheese
300 ml (1 1/4 cup) sour cream
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. freshly ground white pepper
1 1/2 tbsp. caster sugar
1 1/2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
1 1/2 tbsp. mild mustard
100 ml (scant 1/2 cup) cooking oil
400 g (14.1 oz.) cold-smoked salmon
1 egg, hard-boiled
10 cm (4-inch) cucumber
A few radishes
1. To make the bread layers: Dissolve the yeast in water. Add salt, syrup, oil, and whole wheat flour. Mix in white flour. Knead and put back into a bowl, cover and let rise 45 minutes. Remove dough from bowl, knead, and make a round cake. Let it rise in a greased, round dish, ideally a springform pan. Cover and let rise for 45 minutes. Heat the oven to 200C/400F/GM6. Bake the bread for about 35 minutes. Cool under a cloth.
2. In a blender, mix herring, mayonnaise, and cream until smooth. Set aside.
3. Mix the cream cheese and sour cream. Season with salt and white pepper. Set aside.
4. Make sure that the ingredients for the mustard sauce are at room temperature, otherwise it will split. Mix sugar and mustard and drizzle in oil. Season with salt. Store in the fridge.
5. Cut the crusts off the loaf and slice into three layers. Put the first layer on a dish. Moisten with a little mineral water. Spread with mousse and cover with sliced cucumber. Press the next layer down. Moisten with mineral water. Spread a little butter, then cover with the salmon, saving a few slices for garnish. Drizzle the mustard sauce over the salmon. Add some shredded lettuce. Press the top layer down. Moisten with mineral water. Spread the cream cheese mixture over the tops and sides of the cake. Garnish with salmon, peeled shrimp, egg, and sliced radish. Pat shredded lettuce and chopped parsley onto the sides. Sandwich cake benefits from a couple of hours in the fridge before serving.