For immediate release
For more information, contact:
KEEP KIDS SAFE ON THE ROAD DURING THE FESTIVE SEASON – A MESSAGE FROM THE DOTSURE.CO.ZA CAR SEAT SAFETY CAUSE
In September 2015, dotsure.co.za (dotsure.co.za is a product of Oakhurst Insurance Company Limited) embarked on a nationwide Child Seat Safety Cause – as featured on Carte Blanche – in collaboration with child road safety advocates, Wheel Well.
The aim of the cause is to ensure that all parents and caregivers are aware of the May 2015 amendment to South Africa’s National Road Traffic Act which states that ALL children under the age of three years must be restrained in an appropriate child safety seat to help prevent serious injury and / or death in the event of a collision.
In the lead-up to the busy festive season, dotsure.co.za and Wheel Well urge all parents and caregivers to comply with the law and make sure that their children are appropriately restrained when they are on the road.
1. 85% of children in South Africa still travel in motor vehicles without wearing seatbelts. (Source: www.childsafe.org.za)
2. South African mortality rates in car accidents for children aged 0 to 5 and boys aged 5 to14 is twice the global rate. (Source: World Health Organisation)
3. Passenger deaths in children are the fourth-leading cause of unnatural deaths in our country. (Source: Medical Research Council)
Why children should buckle up
1. Car safety seats reduce the risk of death in passenger cars by 71% for infants and 54% for toddlers. (Source: https://safelyhome.westerncape.gov.za)
2. Even in minor crashes, unrestrained children are thrown around inside vehicles, injuring themselves and others. They can even be thrown from a car through a window. (Source: www.childsafe.org.za)
1. Keep children occupied with games, puzzles and books on long trips so that they are not tempted to move around and undo their restraints.
2. Build plenty of stops and breaks into your travel schedule so children have a chance move around and stretch their legs before continuing the journey.
3. Make sure your child’s car seat is in good working order. If you are uncertain how safe the seat is or how to install it correctly, you can visit the Wheel Well shop at Brightwater Commons in
Randburg for advice and assistance.
We encourage all parents to donate any unused child car seats to Wheel Well for families in need. Wheel Well performs safety checks and cleans all donated car seats before passing them on to deserving families.