We use electronic devices every day without giving them a second thought. However, did you know that there is a hidden danger inside many of these devices that poses a serious risk for children?
Powerful coin-sized button batteries are found in many common household devices. Children often have easy access to these devices and many parents/carers are unaware of the dangers as many devices come with the batteries already installed.
If swallowed, button batteries can become stuck in a child’s throat and burn through the oesophagus in less than 2 hours. This burning can lead to serious injury requiring surgery, or death.
Children under the age of 5 years are at the greatest risk.
To prevent button battery related death and injury:
- Look for devices in your home that contain button batteries
- Examine devices and make sure the battery compartment is secure
- Keep button batteries locked away out of the sight and reach of children
- Dispose of old button batteries immediately and safely
- Tell others about the dangers and share these steps